[Above image credit:@NicTasker]
Sometimes you need that something to kickstart or get you through the day. This motivator can take many forms including music, the ability of which is displayed to its fullest in the following mix, and especially its first hour in which Avalon Emerson and Courtesy play back-to-back.
Among the endless list of outstanding residencies on NTS is Nic Tasker’s 88 Transition/Whities show, exhibiting leftfield, techno, and electro, both old and new. However, this mix is a stark contrast to the club driven mixes typically showcased in the Whities show, Mixes To Dig series, and their sets, perhaps as a tribute to the Orlando tragedy occurring on the same day.
Following a much more downtempo and ambient vibe, this mix is perfect to relax and zone out with. The stunning Diskjokke – Panutup sets a melancholic mood with the majority of the mix following the same path. An early highlight is the transition of William Basinski – DL1.3 into Arthur Russell – Hiding Your Present From You. Other highlights include Bwana – V and Mental Overdrive – Please Hold On. Tasker takes over for the second hour with as good an opening tune you could get, Digital Justice – Profit (No Till). He then takes a slightly more upbeat approach, while playing some tracks which are equally as stunning as those in the first half. He ends the mix with Moodymann – Amerika into Omar S – Seen Was Set, and finally a lovely track unbeknownst to myself, The Blue Nile – Tinseltown In The Rain.
Everyone has their go to mix for a certain mood. When looking for a little pick-me-up, this is certainly the one for me. Make sure to catch all three DJs at The Yard for the next Whities night (28/04/2017).
Be sure to check out the tracks listed below…
A few highlights...
Tracklist [Credit: NTS]
- IMRE KISS-ACCEPT THE LIGHT
- VANGELIS-LOVE THEME
- WILLIAM BASINSKI-DISINTEGRATION LOOPS 1.3
- ARTHUR RUSSELL-HIDING YOUR PRESENT FROM YOU
- TOM HANG-ETHERPRISE
- DUBLICATOR-INFECTED ENERGY (TEXTURAL BEING RESHAPED)
- DALHOUS-ANOTHER WITNESS BY RESOLOUTION
- COCTEAU TWINS-HITHERTO
- ACRONYM-IN THE SWAMP
- MILTON BRADLEY-THE END IS NOT ALWAYS THE END, SOMETIMES IT IS A NEW BEGINNING
- THE MAGNETIC FIELDS-I SHUTTER
- MENTAL OVERDRIVE-PLEASE HOLD ON
- DIGITAL JUSTICE-PROFIT (NO TILL)
- APHEX TWIN-AVRIL ALTDELAY
- BRUCE-SUMMERS GOTTA END SOMETIME
- SHINICHI ATOBE-BUTTERFLY EFFECT
- THE MORTAL COIL-SONG TO THE SIREN
- COLIN STETSON-WHO THE WAVES ARE ROARING FOR
- STEPHEN MALLINDER-COOL DOWN
- OMAR S-SEEN WAS SET (NORM TALLEY MIX)
- THE BLUE NILE-TINSELTOWN IN THE RAIN
Written by James Acquaye Nortey-Glover